Wednesday, May 02, 2007

sorry for the wait...

Well, of course I have stories to tell... but I couldn't get on line to tell you!!!

The best story was why and how I had to get home from Vegas last week. The reason I had to get back Friday night was because I was "pinch hitting" coaching for David the next day in Rochester. He had to leave Friday morning to go to LA for a work conference. He had asked me several weeks before if I could take his spot at the regatta- meaning getting his three boats of boys where they needed to be when they needed to be there. Sure. I can do that. Hell, I used to coach - it's not like it's something I didn't know how to do.

What I didn't anticipate was what would happen if I couldn't get there....

I'll save you the LONG story with all the details - but here's what you need to know:
- I flew from Vegas to Chicago, Chicago to Laguardia and then was supposed to fly to Syracuse.
- I had to change airlines in Laguardia - which means that I had to get my bag from baggage claim, walk two buildings down to USAir, check my bag before catching my flight home to Syracuse.

Oh, did I mention I only had an hour between flights in Laguardia to do all that??? yeah, right...

I called Hertz when I was still in Chicago (and was pretty certain I wasn't going to make my important flight home) to procure myself a vehicle once I got to NY. Sure enough, after sprinting through the "streets" of Laguardia in flipflops, jeans, T-shirt and computer backpack, I did NOT make my flight home. (with no baggage, might I add. It didn't show up....)

I turned away from the agent's desk to slowly find the bus to Hertz. I was tired, sweaty and frustrated. I had to get home so I could get to the regatta the next day! I kept telling myself "DON'T CRY!! put your big girl panties on and DON'T CRY!"

When I got to Hertz I appraoched the counter and immediately apologized for my appearance. I looked ridiculous. I'm not kidding - my T was sticking to my body and sweat was still rolling down my forehead... and this is at 10 at night. As she was pulling up my reservation she asked me what happened.

me: I had to run from the ATA terminal to the USAir terminal only to not make my flight. I HAVE to get home tonight, hence the car.

Herta agent: What??!!! Those two buildings aren't even close! That's like a quarter mile or longer!

me: yes. I know. I ran it in flipflops too! (held up foot to prove footwear in the event she didnt' believe me.)

She politely finished my reservation, handed me keys and pointed me to slot 42. I thanked her profusely and headed out to start my drive home.

How far is Syracuse from Laguardia??? 4-5 hours. It's not close. People usually don't realize that Syracuse is NO WHERE CLOSE to the city. I had a long night ahead of me.

I walked out to slot 42. Wait - this isn't right. This is a sports car in the "prestige collection". This is a Chrysler Crossfire!!! I specifically asked for the cheapest thing to get me home. She said $100 when I signed the contract in there. What does this receipt say? (hold up to light to check price. yup, $100 plus tax - just what the reservationist quoted me over the phone when I called from Chicago...) Well, if this isn't the right car the keys aren't going to work, right? What the hell.

I click the unlock and sure enough it worked!!! That sneaky agent!!! :) She upgraded me (like FIVE levels) and didn't tell me!!!! God love her!

Word of warning - if you're taller than 5'7" don't get a Crossfire. I had only 2 inched of head clearance...

So I hop in the sporty little car, find the 80's hits on the Sirrius radio and hit the road. YIPPEEE!!!! Hit cruise control and head to Syracuse.

I got home at 2:12AM Saturday morning. I was wide awake on caffine and adreneline. I climbed into bed for a few hours and was up again at 6am and headed to Rochester. Believe it or not - I made it all day at the regatta too. I was afraid I'd collapse at some point, but I didn't. Thank god for Terry - one of the moms. She made sure I was properly fed and caffinated throughout the day. David had called her the night before to apprise her of my situation and told her to keep an eye on me. (He was afraid I'd keel over too.)

So, the marathon weekend was over and then I headed to Plattsburgh Monday to our main office. I'm just now home and writing this entry. I'm going to head out and finish mowing the grass that David started today before his practice. I get to stay home for a few more weeks before I head out to San Fran. Hold tight. Knowing me something else stupid will happen to me... tune in to find out.

1 comment:

WanderingGirl said...

It always pays to be nice to the person at the counter!!!