Friday, October 09, 2009

Fall in NY

During the fall and winter I always feel like I'm pooing on this place where I temporarily reside. (Yes, I consider 5 years temporary as in "I'm not going to live here forever". )

If you're not aware we get LOTS of snow here during the winter - which isn't necessarily bad. What is terrible - we have almost no sun. This is one of the least sunny places in the US. I've said it a million times - I can handle snow. I cannot handle no sun. It depresses me somethin' fierce. Every year we've been here I get in a terrible funk when the weather starts to change. I know it's the lack of sun and not the snow. Want to know how I know? Because I used to live in CO where there is plenty of snow AND sun!

Now I don't necessarily have to move back to CO to be appeased. But I eventually will need a change of scenery. But that time isn't right now. So, since I'm here for the time being I decided to focus on the good things that we have here. This is also a reminder to me to actually DO these things and not let the seasons pass me by without indulging.

- We have the 37th annual Lafayette Apple Festival this weekend! The hubby and I went last year and I had a great time eating apple "things" and drinking cider. It's just a beautiful ride out in the country too.
- In the event I can't make it out to the festival this year we also have quite the array of "apple places" around here to go apple picking. Some have great little gift shops too.
- Talking about apples got me thinking about baking. And I have already started "feeling" fall. I've made four different soups in the past 2 weeks (and fed not only the hubby and I for a few days at a time but my office as well.) So at least if the weather outside is rainy or some other version of sucky I can always stay inside and bake. (or cook)
- I have family coming to visit in 2 weeks - so I'm taking them to the Finger Lakes Wine region, of course!!
- When the snow starts falling I hear we actually have some ski places about 30 minutes away. That's much closer than it took me to get to the slopes in CO! The hubby and I went skiing once winter before last. Unfortunately I don't think he's very fond of it anymore. I guess that just means I'll have to head out by myself! ('cuz none of my other friends around here ski either...)
- Speaking of great outdoor sport areas - I hear we have great places to snowshoe too. I've only tried that once before out in CO... but why not give it a whirl again?!?!
- Ok, back to something that I can do sans snow.... I haven't gone mountain biking all year (or last year, or the year before...) If the rains stops for a bit before the snow comes I already have a place picked out to hit the trail.
- Speaking of rain - we've had LOTS of it lately. I don't mix well with cold rain. So I have plenty of things to do around the house instead. Like an ass-load of yarn that has yet to be knitted into something useful. And I really do think it's time for me to move on from scarves...
- And I've already made a list of things to do this winter. Such as paint a bunch of rooms and actually purchase frames and hang things on the walls. Yes, we've lived here over 5 years and I still don't have anything hanging on any walls save a large mirror in the hall.

Looking back on this list I think I have plenty of things listed to do. But if you know of anything I've missed let me know!!!!

2 comments:

MadHatter said...

This is not a terrinly body health concious thing, but it may be worth your mental health. What about getting in the tanning bed for 2-3 minutes a couple of times a week? It may make a huge difference.

emily said...

time to move from scarves to baby clothes!! make my babies something fabulous!!