Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Funny lookin' somethin'

About a year ago I noticed something on the back of my right calf that appeared to be an ingrown hair. Kinda raised and that weird blueish gray color. Being the picker that I am, I decided about 4 or 5 months ago that it needed to come out.

Yes, I'm a dermatologists worst nightmare. I'm a picker. Armed with fingernails and alcoholed manicure implements I descended on the bump for removal. I know - my tools aren't exactly physician-like but they get the job done.

A month later I noticed it was healing but raised. Weird. It was also white. Also weird. I picked at it again and essentially dig it out. again....

Another month later I noticed it was still healing but raised again. Almost like there was fluid in it. Huh. I grabbed a carpenters knife blade (it was brand new and alcoholed too) and lanced it. The hubby was not in favor of this idea. But really - it's my calf, not his.

Healed back raised again. I finally called the dermatologist and got in in THREE DAYS! That's unheard of. (I got a lucky cancellation!! Otherwise I couldn't get in until APRIL!!) This morning the derm said she couldn't tell exactly what it was due to the trauma it had been through. (me pickin' the hell out of it) but she decided to take that thing right off!! Right there! Right now!

Whoo hoo! I didn't have to make another appointment to come back and get it done. That's fabulous!! She numbed it up, removed it and double stitched me up! (cuz I told her I run and I really didn't want the scar to pull...) I go back in two weeks to get the stitches out. That's it!!

Now most of you guys do a good job of keeping yourselves healthy. But if you've found something that looks weird or if there is any other reason you've been putting off going to the doctor - JUST DO IT! Just go. Don't let it linger. You never know what might be going on. (you know I'm talking to you MH....; )

No comments: