Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mortality.

My dad's younger brother died of a heart attack a few months ago. He was about 51. Dad called me a few minutes ago to tell me his older brother was found dead in his chair last night. I think he was about 65. Dad's dad had his first heart attack at 52 and died at 56. See a trend?

My dad is the last surviving male in his family. He's 60.

Dad's mom died 2 years ago at 86. And dad's sister, the oldest of the siblings, is still alive. I believe she's in her late 60's. Appears the women seem to fare ok.

If you know me you know that I'm very close to my dad. This information is quite the wake up call. For years I've always kept tabs on dad's health. (and he on mine) He seems to be in fairly good health but the thought of him dying young has always haunted me.

I guess you never know when you're going to lose someone. I always assumed my family had used up their ration of car accidents. Even though, one of us could be in yet another horrific car accident and die tomorrow.

But, leave it to me to start worrying about something I can't control. That's what I do! Get myself all twisted in a pickle worrying about things I can't control or things that have yet to happen - something that might happen...

Now where did I put those big girl panties???

2 comments:

MadHatter said...

Aw nuts, we're having a pretty rotten week between the two of us. Let me know if I can help. I can tie your dad to my van to get him to run if that would make you feel better.

WanderingGirl said...

I hope those big girl panties are right next to a big bottle of Xanax! That's what I'd be needing.