Monday, November 09, 2009

NOT Excited.....

In trying to keep myself from getting ran over while running in the dark I have been keeping you apprised of my various attempts to be better seen in the dark.

It started with a red blinking light on the back of my hat.

Then came, in addition to the previous, a head lamp on the front of my hat.

But I still really didn't feel very secure. Thankfully I didn't have any close calls with any vehicles, but I was afraid it was only a matter of time.

I looked into jackets and vests that have that hi-viz reflective material on them. These jackets for runners look cool. Some are even black - but when they come into contact with headlights they light up like the Christmas tree in town center.

However they are quite expensive. The jackets are between $80 - $100+ and the vests are even $60. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money since I just made that huge investment into my Garmin. I was going to have to find a cheaper alternative.

Since I was essentially out of places on my body to comfortably attach a light (and almost out of lights) I decided to break down and get one of the reflective "bibs". Just a basic vest that Velcros around your chest. I could swing $20.

The problem: they look stupid.

I'm no fashion bunny - but if I'm going to try to look good, I'd rather spend money to look good working out rather than on clothes to wear to work. (See my priorities??) Alas, I was just out of money.

So last week I went running and it was only 38 degrees outside. (Thankfully NOT raining anymore!)

Long running pants - check!
Proper sports bra (keep them girls comfy) - check!!
Moisture tech tank top for layering - check!!!
Moisture tech long sleeve 1/2 zip mock - check!!!!
Light windbreaker running jacket (purchased on sierra trading post years ago!!) - check!!!!!
Light gloves - check!!!!!!
Stupid-ass reflective bib - check.....

The baseball hat wasn't going to work. I needed to cover my ears. The hubby got me his fleece headband-y thing. I thought it was mine.... Turned out it's not - or isn't anymore, when I put it on my head and it fell down to my neck. Hubby stretched it out. The only other hat I had... well, it matched a scarf I got last year at Disney...

I grabbed the head lamp to go over the hat. I needed it to see - not for safety purposes.

But I don't think anyone was going to miss me on my run.

Talk about feeling stupid... I was not thrilled. Which the hubby was good enough to capture:



But for you moms out there, I will admit I was comfortable and safe.

But I still looked like an idiot....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh! I'm glad you were safe though. Safety first!

The Coach's Wife said...

i think you should wear THAT to the mardi gras ball! =)

Sweet T said...

looks like one of my dress-up days for Homecoming week...neon day maybe? miss-match day?

WanderingGirl said...

More reasons I don't run!

MadHatter said...

I needed that Laugh!!!

Unknown said...

Perhaps you should consider a treadmill.