Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A little embarrassed...

I have always prided myself on having a strong stomach. Things that don't bother me but appear to bother others:
- cat puke (or anything that comes out of a cat)
- blood
- medical shows on TV. (I even literally stood over the should of Dr. K, a neurosurgeon, during brain surgery once and was completely fine.)
- my dog eating his puke or rabbit poo (before we can get him to stop)

Ok, I'm starting to see a trend here:
- vomit of any kind, animal or human
- poo of any kind, animal or human
- bloody scenarios, scrape, surgery, you name it (in person or TV)

Since I've always been enamored with all things medical I'm the one that likes to watch procedures. I don't mind watching when they plunge the needle in during my blood donation. Getting stitches, taking them out..

You get the idea.

So I've become a little worried lately.

It appears my stomach is weakening.

Years ago I was mountain biking and got a rock in my knee. I remember my stomach doing a little flip as I was trying to dig out said rock. Turns out I was trying to push it out in the wrong direction so I figured that's why my body reacted that way. I was actually pushing the rock further into my knee. (For those concerned citizens out there - I eventually realized my mistake and did properly remove the rock.)

However two weeks ago I was at the GYN having a procedure done. It was painful. So painful, in fact, that I broke out into a sweat, got light headed and thought I was going to lose my breakfast. (a large breakfast at that...) They had to do the whole "lay back, let me get you juice" routine. I was embarrassed. I have NEVER fainted. It took me so long to recover that the nurse was concerned. She considered calling my husband to come get me but I assured her I only lived about two miles away and I could make it. She called me an hour later just to make sure.

I chalked that up to "girl pain". Ok - so I don't handle "girl pain" well. I'll remember that one.

Today I had to get out stitches from a mole removed on the back of my calf. I watched the nurse take out the stitches. All whooping three of them. No big deal.

Then I felt my stomach start to churn. "I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but could you get me a cup of water? I don't feel so well."

I laid back, closed my eyes and thought positive thoughts until she returned with the water. I few sips later I was feeling better and left without incident.

But this has me wondering - is it just experiencing something on myself that gets me sick now?? Honestly I had thought about going back to school to become a PA but maybe I should rethink this. (that and I'm waiting to see how health care reimbursement pans out. I'm not spending time and money on a new degree if they can't get the health care system fixed....)

2 comments:

MadHatter said...

It all started with me when I puked on the tilt-a-whirl as a senior in high school. I have never been the same with motion or ookie stuff. I think you have started down the slippery slope.

eyeheartorange said...

I fainted on the alter during my sister's wedding and then a year later at an Indian Restaurant... Just let it be and let people take care of you, J!!!