Have you ever had a day in which you feel you are the ONLY adult on the planet??
That was me yesterday.
But today is a new day. And even though I totally crapped out on working out (and yesterday morning too. I might as well fess up...) I am generally in a good mood this morning.
Now - about being an adult.... I'm pretty sure that in order to get your "grown-up card" you must show some sort of discipline in your life. Man you should have seen me before I turned 18! "Discipline" was my middle name. Everything was scheduled, planned out, done with purpose. I was motivated, driven by goals (albeit relatively abstract ones like "making only A's and B's" and "getting into a good college".) And those reasons were good enough to drive me to lead a disciplined life.
But somewhere around college I lost that discipline. (ironic, since I'm pretty sure I wasn't an adult at 18) I first thought I didn't have discipline because I had nothing in my life that required it. So I started piano lessons. Then this whole tri-thing.
They have given me a goal. But I'm still having trouble with the discipline part. Any suggestions from the "real" adults out there?? If you had it at one point wouldn't you think that would make it easier to remember how to have it?!?
Side Note: It occurs to me that I have become quiet disciplined, although inadvertantly, on keeping up with my chin whisker..... Maybe it's not "discipline" per se and more just OCD...
2 comments:
'real' adults wouldn't sign up for a triathlon; they know better. ;-P
I think the older you get, the less "discipline" you have. For one, I just don't have the energy to be disciplined about everything like I used to. I used to be really disciplined about keeping my house clean, and I've let that go a bit, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. My kids like me more. :) There's other stuff I'd rather do some days, so the laundry gets a day behind. Oh well! So basically, I have no advice for you because I've turned into a total slacker myself.
Post a Comment