Wednesday, December 01, 2010

HELP WANTED!

I see a perfect career opportunity for some of you out there with this kind of talent and patience.  You girls - the ones who really know not only how to dress your body but the shapes and sizes of others too - the ones who really know how to choose great make up for yourselves but also for an array of other skin tones and face characteristics - you need to sell your services to us tomboys of the world.  I want to dress nice but don't have the care or inclination to do it myself.  I want to wear (a little) make up but I still don't have a clue.  And walking into a mall to put up with sales people literally makes me break out in hives.  (Ok, I lied.  I don't break out in hives.  I have panic attacks.  really.  I'm not kidding.)   And I don't want to dress like YOU or wear YOUR make up.  I want someone who can dress ME and pick out colors for ME.  Who's willing and what are you charging?  Cuz' I'm payin'!!!

When you can't do it yourself OUTSOURCE!

So I'm a make-up whore.

Or more realistically - a hoarder.  Because I own it but I can't put that shit on to save my life.  I end up looking like a ten year old got into her mother's make-up.  Why a 10 year old??  Because I have more dexterity than a three year old and a little more sense than to put red lipstick on my eyelids.  But that's about it.

I spent yesterday afternoon on youtube  (you know, youtube...) watching tutorials, just like Sephora Lindsey told me to.  And I found a great gal, oxfordjasmine, who does great natural looking tutorials based on eye shape.  (in case you're wondering I have extremely deep set, hooded eyes.  That damn side of my dad's family...  : P )  She does a great step-by-step that would be great if I were at level 2.  Alas I'm at level 1.  Or rather level 0.  I need someone to tell me what type of brush they are using.  I can tell she's changing brush shapes but I can't tell which in the video.  Plus the technique for the hooded eye looks simple but I'm afraid will take more dexterity than I can muster.  (at least for now)

And I can have all my friends in the world show me their eye tricks but none of y'all have eyes like mine. (not that I can think of off hand...) The first thing that comes to mind is when I asked my SIL do my eyes for my wedding.  Her make-up always looks great.  Let's say mine didn't turn out so great.  But I'll be honest - it's wasn't her fault.  She did my eyes like she's done her own for years.  Which would have been fabulous - if my eye shape were even half way close to hers.  Which they aren't.  So instead of my big eyes popping for my wedding photos I felt like they were smaller and even darker than usual.  Again - not her fault.  All it proved is that she's not a professional makeup artist.  (which she isn't)

I've had better luck with friends advising in the clothes department.  And I'm starting to know my body shape better over the years.  But I don't have "a look".  Which is the same for my house.  Which is why a fab friend of mine is going to help me by giving some suggestions - starting with trying to help me define what my decorating look "is".

Now I love things for cheap or free and I'd love to barter for services.  But I'm at a loss as to what I could trade for such services.  My first inclination is that I have power tools and know how to use them and that maybe either you don't have the tools or aren't comfortable using them.  But then that creates a logistical issue if I'm to teach you or create something for you.  But I'll still put the offer on the table.  My other "thing" is personal training for the beginner.  Strength training and running I'd say are my specialties.  Now I know most of y'all got men that know something about this too.  However, with the exception of WG, I'd say they don't have experience training women.  So if you'd like women's touch (albeit probably via email) I can do that too.

But the true lesson in all this - always count on friends because I've been fortunate to get fabulous photos to hang on my wall, I've traded furniture to freshen up a room, I have gotten great clothing advice!!! (I don't want the above to make it sound like I haven't), shoot - I've even gotten freshly canned tomato sauce!!!

Oh!  And I knit. I've given out a few scarves.  And a horribly overly-shappen sweater to my fabulous baby cousin in her first year of law school.  I figure it will keep her warm on those cold winter nights while she's studying up in Morgantown (when her boyfriend is also hard at work studying too and is unable to cuddle....)  Given my experience with my first adult sweater you might want to only request scarves (even pretty, light fashion ones, not necessarily to keep warm) and hats.  Oh and socks!  I do socks!!

2 comments:

emily said...

Free childcare!!! I'll hook you up via skype and you can entertain my tots!!! Though I'm not sure I actually have good advice for you because I'm no expert or good at any of what you're looking for . . .

I know you hate make up counters, but I HIGHLY recommend making an appointment with the actual make up artist for Bobbi Brown. I've been using her since I got engaged and needed good make up. The look is never too trendy, always natural and they focus on your eyes!!! Pretty please, give it a try!!!

MadHatter said...

once you know the tricks, try Bare Escentuals makeup. LOVE IT. And really, really hard to screw up even without tricks!!