Sunday, October 16, 2011

woo hoo!!!

We did it!  We came, we ran and we didn't puke!  I consider that a victory!!

The hubby just had to finish to set a baseline time since he'd never run a half marathon before.  I PR'd by 24 minutes. Um, that's A LOT!!  That just goes to show how unprepared I was for my first HM.  Not to dis my friend I ran it with!! (apologies for ending with a preposition...)  She was in LA and we just met up in Phoenix to run it.  So I was left to train by myself, in Syracuse, in the winter.  Have I mentioned that Syracuse is one of the top 10 cities with the most snowfall in the US?  You can see why I was having such a hard time staying motivated to train...

This time the hubby and I trained together, in the fall.  And did I mention we're both very competitive??  So it's no surprise that it turned out much for me than me than I expected.

My goal, first and foremost, was to PR.  But since that was just running better 13.1 miles faster than a 2:37:07, which is a 11min, 59 second mile, I had no doubt I could beat that - blow it out of the water.  We had been sticking to our training scheduloe and been doing a great job! My big goal was to run a 10:30 min/ mile.  Which would be a finish time of 2:17:39.

Well, since the hubby and I are so competitive we stayed together the WHOLE race.  And we both ended up running faster than we would have if on our own.  We ended up finishing in 2:13!!  He finished in 2:13:13.  I finished 14 seconds behind him!!!  arg!!!!  But that's ok.  We still averaged a 10:11 min mile!!  MUCH better than I expected!!!!

But there were definitely some casualties... (you can understand why I didn't post this to FB....)  I'm pretty certain I'm going to loose some nails.  Worse - I have two trade shows back-to-back coming up where I have to wear pumps!  Ouch!!! 

But the hubby did post other great pics to FB!!



The hubby's set the bar really high to set a PR on his second HM....  I hope he knows what he's gotten himself into...

1 comment:

MadHatter said...

What is "PR"? And, great job!!