Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Am I Trying to Kill Myself???

So, for my friend eyeheartorange, I thought I'd clarify my current athletic endeavors.

Yes, I am training for a century ride on September 18th. I've done this once before, it nearly killed me, and I'm dumb enough to try and do it again. Don't ask me why - I must have a death wish.

And as if that wasn't enough, I realize that I completely slack with cardio during the winter here in CNY. I'm great at lifting weights, but that's it. So to keep me honest during the winter I signed on to run my first half marathon on January 17th in Phoenix, AZ.

I'm not sure what's gotten in to me but if it's something that's keeping me healthy (if it doesn't kill me first) then why not?

A friend of mine keeps asking me to do a triathlon seeing as how I'm into two of three parts - but I don't swim. I can, mind you. If I got dumped out in the open water I can definitely keep myself from drowning (for a bit). But the two times I actually attempted swimming laps I was certain I was going to drown. Not a comfortable feeling. The worst I can do running is fall and skin a knee. The worst I can do biking is fall off (ok, I suppose I could get run over by a car which, admittedly, is worse than just falling off...) but I could drown and DIE swimming. If you get tired you'd better not be too tired to keep yourself afloat until you can be rescued! The risk is a bit too high for me. And it also is probably the reason they having swimming as the first event in a tri as opposed to the last event. Too many people would drown from exhaustion!

So for now I'll keep it on land.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That IS why you swim first! And you can totally swim, but it takes practice! Remember the first time you tried to row? Come on, just figure out a way to swim and do a tri with me. We can do a really short one just for fun! Think of it as cross training...

MadHatter said...

I am with you on the swimming. I get the heebie jeebies in a deep bathtub sometimes! You don't think this new exercise initiative has anything to do with us being in our 30s????