I finished up the Twilight series books this weekend. I know, Emily - the addiction is much worse than you feared. But alas, I've had my Edward, Bella and Jacob fix to last me a while... at least until the new movie comes out!!
Since I finished up with the books on Saturday D proposed we do a "group ride" on Sunday morning. Let me explain what that is before any of you come up with utterly disturbing definitions of your own.
D and I are doing the same century ride (100 miles) we did two years ago. It's a fundraiser for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The money raised is used for educational materials for kids on how to stay safe (on the Internet too!) and to help recover missing children. The organization provides 2 group training rides a week for about 2 months prior to the ride to help you get into shape. It's also to help people who've never ridden to get used to riding close in a big group.
Sunday's ride was billed as a 30-40 mile ride in the "easy" category. The longest I've ridden this season has only been 19 miles. But since it said it was easy = flat I figured I give it a try. Including me and D, only 7 people showed up. We've all done the century ride before so there was no one that needed any special instruction , etc... Apparently that meant that the organizers of this ride could just "ride".
At first I wasn't worried. Ok, so no one needed to learn how to ride close and side-by-side. Big deal. The course we were riding that day had already been mapped out and it said it would be flat. However the ride is supposed to be ridden at "ride pace". The day of the actual ride we all ride together in a group, averaging about 16 mph on the flats. Well, 2 guys in this group were racers and everyone else was very experienced and had been riding since probably the snow was completely gone back in the spring. But not me!
I think we averaged about 20-22 mph. It damn near killed me. I made it but I was exhausted when we were done. I also felt self-conscious because the few times they did slow down to pace it was only because I wasn't sure if I could make the whole ride going at the faster speeds.
oh - and it was a full 40 miles....
I don't think I'm going to do any exercising today. Or if I do it will be just a 2 mile jog or something. My arse is NOT getting back on that seat tonight, I can tell you that!!
I think I've already hit up most of you for money - but if not...
If you'd like to donate to that cause (I have to raise $300 for the ride) you can donate directly on my RFMC Page.
4 comments:
Now if I send money do I get a dance or anything? Just kidding, be expecting some moula
is it bad that i sit here eating ice cream while reading about your century ride?
Yeah, whenever I want to go light on the exercise I just do a little 2 mile run or something.
Are you training for a running race, too?
Post a Comment