I have some great friends!! First of all, Tri-Girl didn't hesitate when I asked her back in the summer to run this half marathon with me. Of course, she's done a marathon and this was her 7th or 8th half... but still. It required plane tickets and vacation days. I'm very grateful that she met me out there. Otherwise I wouldn't know what I have would have done out there by myself.
We had a great time. We shared a hotel room and all I'll say there was a lot of laughing. As in "Oh My God! That smells awful!!" I don't know how, but we share the same flatulence talent. Lord help the people in the room next door... (Yeah, no dainty girls here, for sure!)
While out there I got in touch with my friend who moved out to Phoenix about 2 years ago. She also happens to be a Brand New Bride!! So BNB and her hubby met up with us on Saturday and took us to Cooperstown. (I think that was the name of it.) It was a restaurant by Alice Cooper! It was all hard rock and sports. While catching up I sarcastically mentioned "If you're not doing anything tomorrow morning you could always come out at watch the race." I think watching running is about as exciting as watching rowing. or golf. As in - it isn't.
Sure enough, I was on mile 3 (TG and I had separated in the pack) I heard "GO JULIE!!!"
Huh? Wha?? I look around and there's BNB and her hubby with their dog standing in parking lot cheering me on!! Can I just tell you how great that was!! It totally kept me pumped up for the next few miles! And then, towards the end of the race, when I wanted to pull over and stomp my feet in a tantrum (and give the finger to the race coordinator) I thought of them coming out (EARLY) on a Sunday morning and cheering me on. Really - it helped me finish the race! Thanks guys!!!
TG also got me a great b-day gift (which I'll share once it arrives...) and she took me out for dinner after the race. It was great! I just wish I'd had more in me to go out afterwards. As it was, we came back from the race, showered and promptly fell into bed for a good 'ol nap!! We woke up about 4:30 and at 5 we were at the restaurant! We chatted through dinner with a marathoner who was by himself. And then we went back to the room and essentially put our jammies back on. I think I was asleep by 8! (But we did have really early planes to catch the next morning...)
So thanks to all of you guys that emailed me encouraging words while I was training. But a special thanks to TG for going with me and to BNB and hubby for their support!!
No comments:
Post a Comment