Since none of you that read my blog knew me in 7th grade I should explain. In 7th grade a classmate of mine, who had a sister that was a senior, introduced me to trashy romance novels. And when I say trashy I'm essentially talkin' porn in print. And because I was already a voracious reader, by the time I got to these I wouldn't leave my room in order to read. (NOT for the reason you're thinking. I wasn't a pre-teen boy for goodness sake!!)
Actually around that time I was reading just about anything I could get my hands on. So it wasn't all trash. But it got so bad that I would come home and go straight to my room and read. Remember, I had a little brother about 1 or 2 so I was really just escaping all the craziness associated with raising a toddler...
Most parents would be ecstatic if their kid did this. Nope. Mom was pissed that she had to call me a few times to get me to come to dinner. She complained that she never saw me. It was so bad she actually GROUNDED me from my ROOM! I could only sleep there. Obviously she couldn't ground me from reading so that was the best she could do. It didn't help. I'd just sit on the sofa and read instead. It actually made me an even better reader. It taught me to read while there was toddler destruction and other loud noises in the background.
I should clarify that at this time in my life I had not even had my first kiss. As a matter of fact, it was still a few years away. What can I say? I was a late bloomer. I won't go long here but let's just say that my first kiss and all other firsts after that pretty much sucked (no pun intended) compared to what I'd already been reading about for years. Yes, I admit it. The trashy novels ruined the experience for me.
I usually wouldn't admit to reading such filth. So over the years I sneak and read a few in the confines of my house. I would NEVER be caught in public with such a paperback!! It was bad enough reading the Twilight series in public on a business trip...
So, for my covert reading pleasure the hubby got me a Nook for Christmas. If you're not familiar it's Barnes & Noble's eReader. Similar to Amazon's Kindle but with more features. This way I can read anything I want with no one around me being the wiser. I can read all the trashy crap I want in the middle of the airport and I don't have to worry about being judged. I love it!!
Although I'm not sure, in retrospect, that the hubby thinks his gift was such a wise decision. I did help with all the renovating we did over the holidays but every other waking minute was devoted to reading on my Nook. And it also gives new meaning to "nookie", much to my hubby's chagrin.
But I've stumbled on a problem with it. Or with B&N, I'm not yet sure. I downloaded some free short stories. Ok, I'll admit it. They're trashy romance short stories. I ready the first one, 15 pages. I got to page 14 and when I hit page forward it automatically took me back to my master book list, NOT PAGE 15!!!
HELLO!! How am I supposed to figure out the ending??
Another one gets you through the copyright pages, etc and then when you should be at the first page of the story it sends you back to the book list.
The hubby thinks this is funny. Somehow he's convinced that B&N knows I've already read my lifelong limit of smut and is cutting me off.
But isn't this part of the allure of having such a device?? I can read whatever, whenever without any worry?? They shouldn't be censoring what I'm reading!!
Of course I'm sure it's a tech glitch that must be worked out. But I find it interesting that I have had no such problems with Pride & Prejudice and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
4 comments:
congrats on your reader! i have a sony one and love, Love, LOVE it! can carry tons of books around all the time!
must say, not so sure about this whole trashy romance novel thing, though. ;^) personally, i don't get the draw...and they're all my SIL ever reads...but whatever keeps ya busy.
I don't beleive you about what you were doing in your room! Your were the horniest girl I knew in college, or at least the one that seemed to know the most about her own body. (or maybe I shouldn't share that????)
And not being able to read the last page would totally infuriate me. But are you going to call B&N huffing and puffing cuz you can't read the last page of your print porno? I bet its some kind of game they play.
i'm a closet romance novel reader, of course i only joined the club a few years ago and resent it ever since for making me feel like a darn cliche.
It is weird to tell your children to STOP reading, but we have to do it all the time. Like when they are walking up and down the stairs. They haven't discovered trashy romance novels yet though!
Post a Comment