Wednesday, September 13, 2006

If you want to stay my friend...

Had a reason to call a friend yesterday that I hadn't talked to in a while. Turns out I'm a reference and I just wanted to let him know I had been contacted. No big deal. I leave him a message, sort of cyptic since it was at work, to call me at work or on the cell. He calls me back this morning and I tell him why I called. His response? "oh, gee, I thought you were going to tell me that you and David were pregnant!". Um, no.

Now I should mention, this is not a one-time occurance. My best friend, on about every third call, will ask me if I'm pregnant too. Family members (not just the in-laws) make comments or hints about it - although they don't come right out and ask. Here's a hint: STOP ASKING IF I'M PREGNANT!

First of all, I get all self-concious thinking I'm getting too fat - but then again, everyone who usually asks me this doesn't even see me - we're talking on the phone. Secondly I already get enough "hints" from the family - I don't need you too. Finally, in case you missed the memo, there is no law mandating that people who are just now married for two years MUST start procreating immediately. If that law actually does exist then I missed it - and don't point it out to me because I'm happy in my ignornance.

If I sound a bit harsh, I'll explain further as to why. See, last night I had the dogs with me at practice (I take them with me when David's out of town, such is the case now). I like to think I can handle several things at once. I'm a woman, right? I'm born to multi-task. However, trying to get myself ready for practice AND keep track of 2 dogs AND clean up doggie poo AND trying to coax dogs in and out of a coaching launch, well.... that well surpassed my limit. I got to thinking later - sheesh! I definitely can't handle kids yet, hell I can't even handle 2 dogs!!! And to top it off I got the call from the friend this morning thinking I was pregnant.

I like to think I can handle a good bit of stress - but this puts me over the top. So, if you want to stay my friend, DON'T ASK ME IF I'M PREGNANT!!

2 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

so WHEN are you gonna get knocked up?

Just kidding. Go ahead. Tell me to shut the fuck up and try to punch me from Syracuse.

At least your family isn't asking "When are you going to get married?" Gee, let's start with a date first. They sure are pushy. But at least they've quit asking if I'm a lesbian!

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, and I have a friend who told her Mom that she'd adopt a baby if she didn't get married. Mom thought that was a great idea. Friend said (jokingly) "Ya, I was thinking maybe a nice little Ethiopian baby, so it won't have weight problems." Mom thought that was even better.

Sheesh.