Do you know what seat racing is in rowing?? no? well then, I'll tell ya. It's when the coach (that would be me) decides to race 2 people against each other to see who moves the boat the fastest. Now, there's a lot more detail to actually pull it off but I'll spare you the details. However, let's just say that the mere mention of "race" gets many of my ladies' panties in a twist.
Theoretically I really shouldn't even tell the ladies that they're being seat raced. I only did due to the "issue" that arose a few weeks back. However I definitely will NOT tell them who is actually being raced. Let them all sweat. It's been joked around that many people (not my ladeis in particular) develop all kinds of problems when faced with seat racing - upset stomach, pulled muscles, cramps, whatever... I know these tricks.
I say TOUGH! Buck up and show me what you've got!
Do I sound evil when talking about seat racing?? I don't mean to. It's just that I used to be one of "them". One of those that was afraid to see how they'd really fare when the competition really got heated. I was afraid to do my best. Doesn't make sense, does it?? I've found that most of my friends do not share this negative trait with me - they don't understand it. Let me explain it to you:
Girl excels in many things without much effort
Girl gets overly praised for good job done
Girl starts to participate in something new - doesn't know how it's going to turn out
Girl afraid she'll not meet expectations and disappoint someone(s)
Girl therefore does all sort of bizarre things - makes excuses, refuses to participate, etc...
Now don't go Dr. Phil on me here. I'm not trying to blame the parents or the teachers or anything. This issue is ALL ME - no one else's. It's just at some point, very early might I add, I realized that I might not always be the best. Instead of being ok with that I fought it.
Some people never have this problem. They always give 100% even if they're dead last. Some people have this problem and they never let it go and it haunts them forever.
However, some people start out with these issues, realize what a crock it all is and finally set themselves straight. I'm one of these people. And it's tough.
For example - I have not been regularly working out. I weigh 25 - 30 pounds heavier than I did in college and probably at least 10 - 15 pounds more than I should at my age. However, since I'm only 30 (very young by masters standards) and I went to Clemson there are many people that assume I'm some rocket on the water. Oh no - unfortunately I'm not. I say this and some people think I'm being modest. Nope - just honest and terribly out of shape.
If I sat down at an erg (indoor rowing machine) right this minute I would score in the middle or back-middle of the ladies that I coach.
If I worked out really hard for the next 6 months and then pulled the same piece I'd probably bump myself up into the top 25% of the team, but not the top 5% or 10%. And that's ok.
If I had a coach start seat racing me right this minute I'd be nervous as hell. I'm the COACH and I'm nervous for them. But it's their time to shine - show me what they've got. Many women have expressed "concern" to me on their status in the boats. This is it ladies. Show me.
Put up or shut up.
1 comment:
Ya! Take that!
Post a Comment