
I have lived both east and west of the Mississippi and liked both very well. However my experience to the west was only as far as Colorado (MAN I miss it!!) It didn't extend all the way to CA. I have now had the opportunity to come to CA a few times with work over the years. I distinctly remember my first impression as I looked out the window as the plane was coming into LAX : "Wow that's a lot of smog! how gross!" That was several years ago when I was working with Waterpik. My reaction has pretty much been the same each time I have flown out since.
Now I understand that CA is a highly sought after locale- evidenced by the real estate prices. Call me dumb - but I can't for the life of me figure out why! (I should note here that I'm talking mostly about southern, coastal CA since that's all I've seen. I'm going to offend many people with this post, I'm sure, and I don't want to offend any more than I have too....) Aside from the smog there's the constant threat of the "big one" shaking up your living quarters, perched precariously on the side of a cliff. My favorite part of CA- the 405. (of course, insert sarcasm here) I think I spent at least half of my trip n traffic on the four -oh- five. Yes, there were parts that actually moved above 40mph - but I really only remember the parts where I was standing still or going at the amazingly breakneck speed of 25mph cursing at how anyone could stand to live here and put up with this crap.
Some people will argue about the scenic ocean and the beautful weather. Well for those of you that know me- I could give two craps about a beach and salt water. I do not like laying out and I do not like having to rinse in unmentionable places to remove sand. As for the arguement about the weather - Fall is my favorite season! I could not stand to live somewhere that the weather is almost the same all year long! Yes, I know you could surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon if you live in CA - but I don't surf!
Why the negative outburst, you're asking? Well, I've essentially been lying to people for the last few days about yes, I agree that CA is wonderful, yada, yada, yada. I need to vent the truth for once!!! Maybe the one other thing I really don't care for in CA is the attitude. Not the Hollywood-type attitude but, well I can't put word to it - I can only explain it. See - each time I met someone new they would ask me how I liked CA. I don't get asked this in other places I travel. I originally started with short and sweet answers because I wasn't comfortable lying a big lie- just little ones. I'd answer "it's nice". But no one lets you get away with just that. They continue to probe until they are satisifed that you absolutely LOVE CA, act as though you're jealous as hell that you don't live here and feel as though you are the stupidist person on earth for not picking up and moving to CA this very instant. I think they do this because they need a stranger to concur that all the money they spend out here is worth it. Whatever. Some people are too sissy to handle the snow - that I understand. nothing wrong with it. Why can't people just buck up and admit it! (actually one director did, John. Except he doesn't count because he's a transplant from Toledo, OH.)
Ok - there is ONE redeeming quality about CA - the food. You can get great food, of any kind, just about anywhere. Not only that but you can find great food in both big, expensive, fancy places as well as in little dives and everything in between. I was in heaven! Yes, I hate the beach, I hate shopping, but I sure as hell can eat my through a place like southern CA! Case in point: (ok - see picture at top - I can't figure out how to get it to show up down here.) Note to self - figure out how to get pics where you want them....
This picture was taking of my dessert (and Steve's the sales rep) at a place in Laguna Beach. He was all impressed with himself - going to take me to a nice restuarant on the ocean, at sunset. Even stop if I wanted to shop or dip my toes in the water... (sounds like a date, doesn't it? Little creepy, isn't it???) Well boy did he have me pegged wrong! And due to his, um, unique personality, I didn't feel the need to lie to him. I could care less about the ocean and the sunset (I have jetlag, buddy! If I see the sun go down I'll face plant right here on my dinner plate!) I'll only shop if you want to see a true panic attack and me break out in hives. However, it was a great dinner and even greater dessert. I had the chocolate mousse!! yummy!!
Ok, I had another great dining experience last night too but I think I've blogged everyone's ear off by now. I'll save my Thai dinner for another time... (Tiff!! We had water weenies!!! I mean, spring roll thingy-ies.)
toodles!
1 comment:
You so lucky!
And to move the pic, just click and drag to where you want it to go.
Post a Comment