Friday, October 13, 2006

Headline: "Hubby Cooks Dinner"

Some of you may know that David is not a foodie like I am. Due to that, and a few other factors, he cooks just enough to get by. I think when I'm on the road he feeds himself by 1) boiling pasta 2) eating out - although usually a healthy Subway sub 3) snacking on anything he can scrounge in the house and 4) eating at his folks house.

I admit - I do all of these things to - especially when David's on the road. It's nearly impossible to cook for one. Yeah, you can do it - David and I each did for years before we met - but most of the time it's like "why bother?"

Over the past several years I've tried to get him to actually cook for me. This does NOT include boiling pasta, making something out of a box, ordering in or taking me to a restuarant. I mean really cooking. I know he's not a terribly experienced chef so I'm easy - I'll take a salad and a prepared piece of meat. I don't need an appetizer, 4 side items, meat with a fancy sauce and dessert. I know that coordinating all that takes a bit of experience and patience. So far I think he's cooked maybe 2 or 3 times for me. (I'm sure he'll have something to say about that once he reads this.. ; )

We have had words more than once as to why it's my responsibility for every meal. The conversation goes something like this, say on a Tuesday nite:
David: what's for dinner?
me: why am I expected to know what's for dinner??
David: I don't know
me: well why don't you, for once, tell ME what's for dinner.

The intonation and emotion between the two of us depends on how long ago we had this same conversation. A few weeks ago he knew I was really getting frustrated with the whole cooking bit. He suggested that he start cooking a meal once a week or so. I'm not going to argue!

So last night I had him make dinner. I made sure I was out of the house so as to not tempt him to con me into making the dinner. I had a recipe for shrimp and feta over pasta. A relatively easy, yet very yummy, meal. He stopped at the grocery and picked up the 3 ingredients that were missing - I had made the list for him. After that he was on his own. I told him to call me if he had any trouble or questions.

I should note here that when I cook - especially if I'm trying something new, even with guests, the house rule is - I'm going to try something new so if it turns out poorly or you don't like it then we'll order take out. There is no double standard in our house - if his meal doesn't turn out we'll order in. It's just the fact that he tries.

And tried he did! I only got 2 phone calls. The first call - "what does it mean when it sayts I'm supposed to reduce this to 2 cups?" and "how am I supposed to turn this clove of garlic ino something to add to the receipe?" Then the comment "I really wish you'd have given me an easier recipe to start with. I don't like experimenting in the kitchen when you're not here." I took that as a compliement. I don't know why, but I did. I got one other call from him saying he still couldn't find the garlic press and to describe it to him again. He finally found it...

I was anxious on my way home. I knew he was frustrated but you gotta learn sometime! As I reminded him - he was not home when the sump pump flooded the basement and I didn't like having to figure that out on my own either - but I did. He's mechanical and figuring out how to fix a sump pump is right up his ally. The sump pump is NOT up my ally and I had to make the best with what I had. Cooking is up my ally - not his. He needs to learn to make the best of it with what he has. get my point???

I walked into the kitchen not having any idea of what I would find. Honestly - I was prepared to walk in to find a pizza. Last I talked to him he sounded pretty frustrated and I wouldn't have been surprised to see that he gave up on the whole thing. But much to his credit I walked in and smelled something WONDERFUL coming from the kitchen. I took a look and it looked just as it was supposed to!! And more importantly - it tasted like it was supposed to too! Ok, it was a soupy - but honestly that's a mistake in the recipe itself, not the person making it. When my friend made it and when I made it it was soupy too...

Note to self - need to modify recipe for the next time it's made to get rid of the soupy-ness...

In the end David did alright. I just hope he's forgiven me for leaving him to figure it out on his own. But sometimes that's the way it's got to be!

1 comment:

WanderingGirl said...

a giant round of applause for the man in the house!