Thursday, August 13, 2009

Random Thoughts on Happenin's

Yesterday was the hubby's birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HON!!!

He's finally MY AGE now. At least he didn't bring it up yesterday that I'll always be older than him. He has a tendency to do that on occasion. (and get smacked in the process!)

It was his choice of where to go for dinner. He picked Carrabba's. I thought he would have gone for sushi but I was wrong. Oh well. You know me - I'll eat anything. And instead of a cake this year I went to a fabulous Italian bakery we have and got him a smorgasbord of treats. I grabbed a few lemony things because he really likes those and I don't so I never make anything like that. Plus I threw in a few other of his favorites.

Did I mention he got a new car? Not necessarily for his birthday but he did pick it up this week. It's a 4-door Honda Civic Si. Apparently if you're a car person that "Si" is an important distinction. It's a sport package of some kind. Don't ask me - I'm not a car person. Bit I have to say it is pretty nice - it's got an in-dash navi system and it's a 6-speed manual. I've never driven a 6-speed before. (and still haven't as I have not yet been given permission to drive it ; )

The only bummer - we are now back to 2 car payments when 8 months ago we had none. It's ok though, I went with David to buy it and we wheeled and dealed them to a good deal and a good trade in on his old car which = good monthly payment and payoff in a reasonably quick time frame.

I played Bunco again on Tuesday and won third place! VegGirl hosted and we had great vegan treats. It's funny to listen to the old ladies "Is this vegan food? Really?!? It's pretty good!!" As if vegan's eat food trucked in from Mars. What's worse is she made a veggie dip that I made when I hosted except she used mayo made with canola oil and soy-based sour cream to make it vegan. Everyone RAVED about it!! No one raved about it when I made it! Figures.... (that or everyone was so shocked that vegan food can be edible...)

MH - I need to send you a Bunco kit. I think you'd really enjoy it!

Ok, I've complained about this before but I'm going to again - Will someone please explain to me why I have WORSE zitty skin as an adult than I did as a teenager??? I mean really. This is really getting old! Why is it some things I got lucky with when I was younger/ teenager (skin wasn't too bad, no cramps or bloating during that time....) really kicked in as an adult. I'm not even old and I've already decided getting older sucks. I was always of the mind I wasn't going to fight aging. I changed my mind.

An another thing about getting older.... I've been running pretty consistently. I even registered for my first half marathon in January. I've been watching what I've been eating and I've cut WAY BACK on the beer and wine.

What happens to me? I gain weight.

That NEVER used to happen!! And don't give me that bull about it being muscle. It's not. I'm getting pudge ALL OVER! And it's not budging. Oh well - I hope the hubby is ok with that 'cuz I just don't have the time to run longer than I am right now...

But on the other hand I can't really complain because I'm technically in great health. And that got me thinking. (I know, I know... yes, steam did come out my ears..) I saw something on TV a while back about a woman with leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant and she couldn't find a match. So I decided to join the national bone marrow registry. It does cost a little $ but I decided it was worth it. I joined online at www.marrow.org and they'll be sending my a swab kit. It's just a cheek swab. (MH - I should clarify for you, that's mouth cheek, not butt cheek. For some reason I can imagine you thinking the latter...; )

By the way if you're not a organ donor you might want to consider it. Doesn't cost you anything ($$ wise). Whatcha gonna do with all that extra stuff when you're dead anyway?? Especially if someone could keep living with something of yours? I just read an article this morning about a man training for the Ironman - and he's a heart transplant recipient!! Hell I couldn't do it with all my good functioning, original parts!

Anyway - just some thoughts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was because they are still in awe of "vegan" food. And, you have to remember that my grandmother can't help herself from promoting her family members...it's in her DNA. To the point of embarrassment. Remember back when she was talking to everyone about my BF like they were old friends and she hadn't even met him yet??
So, I'm sure everyone heard quite enough about my food & my decorating to last them until next year's bunco event at my house. ;)

emily said...

i want more posts like this!! it's like having an adult conversation rather than listening to 'whhaa' all day.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll always be older than you, even if your husband isn't. I enjoy that same status with Glen. He still hasn't reached the age where he has to watch what he eats and it really makes me MAD!

And I think I'm going to add "damn good wife" to my blog profile.

Christy said...

I even KNOW and have trained with the guy doing an ironman with the heart transplant! Kyle is really great guy. He was even our Honored Teammate for our TNT season. Half marathon here we come!

MadHatter said...

registered for my 1/2 today.....and didn't someone just tell me to "step away from the scale"???....glad to hear you have so much going on that is Good! Happy Birthday, D