Monday, September 28, 2009

Ready for 13.1

This week begins my official training for my half marathon. BTW - I think I will continue to refer to it as a "half marathon" because just 13.1 miles doesn't really sound like that much.

Ok, so technically my first run according to my training schedule isn't until tomorrow. I have to figure out how to combine lifting weights with this running thing - and not kill myself in the process. I'll give the lifting a good 'ol college try - but if I can't get all my running in then the weights are taking a back seat (take note KVeg. this is your official warning...)

I noticed a few weeks ago my heart rate monitor was acting up. I can't figure out why - I've replaced the battery in the watch and chest strap all within the past three months. It keeps cutting in and out of getting a signal. I'm pretty sure I'm not dead...

Well this past weekend it wouldn't read at all and and when it did it told me my HR was 239 (as I was casually standing in the bathroom trying to get it to work.) I am certain I was not at 239.

So I finally gave in and declared it kaput. Now if you know anything about HRM then you'll know there are many more on the market these days than just 5 years ago. Today you get even get ones with built in GPS! I'd been eyeing those but they are a bit pricey. And since I already had a working one I wasn't going to bother.

But now since I'm in a position to HAVE to get one... I had to think long and hard over it because they are not cheap. As a matter of fact I'm not even going to mention what I paid because I'm too ashamed. According to the hubby, at that price it should run the race for me.

The other reason I had to think about it is due to the size. These GPS enabled HRM are HUGE! I have itty, bitty , tiny wrists. So this will be interesting. I will not be wearing it everyday like I do my current HRM watch. Although I can think of other people that will be thrilled to know that I won't be wearing my men's Timex Ironman HRM watch all the time. What they don't realize it that I'll just be wearing my smaller women's Ironman watch instead. It's not like I'll finally start wearing a "girly watch" like they'd hoped. (yes, I even wear it when in a biz suit...)
So once it comes in I'll let you know how it goes. Of course, that's if I'm smart enough to figure out how to use all the fancy stuff on it....

2 comments:

Christy said...

The color is even a sexy orange - go Clemson or Syracuse! They are nice, but HUGE is the optimal descriptor. If you need help operating the thing - let me know. It only took me a year to figure it out... :)

emily said...

you'd be my hero if you wore a twilight speedo during your triathlon.