Friday, February 19, 2010

FB. It's a love/ hate thang

When I don't feel like tending to my daily adult responsibilities I go to FB.  (among other sites.)   I have that chat feature installed - but rarely use it.  1) because rarely is there someone on at the same time I want to talk to and 2) believe it or not, sometimes I just don't feel like "conversation".

But I have one friends, the Aussie in the UK that I sometimes see on there.  I love it because it's really where we chat.  We don't talk on the phone (unless she's in the US and we're trying to find each other to meet up).  And when we do chat it's because she's home from work, winding down, (probably with a glass of wine or cider) and I'm trying to find a way to pass the last few hours of the day.  This is a perfect combo for some very interesting conversations!

Like yesterday.  Anyone looking in on our conversation might have been confused.  First you have the delay.  I ask a question and say something and by the time she gets it, answers and it gets back to me I'm on to something else.  And vice versa.  Becuase come 3pm I'm really cravin' some conversation and it just spills forth like a waterfall....  I can't be expected to wait for a reply before I write again!!

And like last night, AUK had a bad day.  I can just see her konw curled up on the sofa, with her laptop  beside her, TV on in front of her and a HUGE glass-o-wine in her hand.  Last night she chastized me for "talking" so much I was keeping her from drinking!! You know - because she had to sit down her glass to respond... I reminded her to take her time replying - definitely after a bad day she needs to get some sips in!!

But in that format we cover all kinds of topics, including, but not limited to:
  • our next vacations/ outtings (mine is going skiing tonight at a local ski place.  She's going to France this weekend.  Who do you think has a better deal??)
  • the best way to thaw out food.  (if you read this blog then you know my prefered way...)
  • when she's coming to the the states next
  • our current jobs
  • bitching about our old jobs (we both used to work for the same company.)
  • the do's and don'ts of trying to find a new housemate.  (she's looking for one, not me.  Never fear NN, the Ball was not prelude to a divorce for me and the hubby ; )
  • and I'm sure there was something thrown in, a side comment, about sex - or lack thereof.  Funny that I can't remember since she was the one drinking through the conversation and I was just sitting at my desk...
I have to keep reminding her that I'm a TMI American - not a prudish pommie.   (apparently that's slang for a Brit.  I just hope it's not completely offensive since I just used it here.  I just "learned" this factoid last night in our conversation too...)  There was at least one instance where she couldn't believe she admitted something to me.  Really?  In my opinion it was tame but then again I'm all out there.  No propriety whatsoever.  Yep,  with me it's "what you see is what you get".

So, AUK - this blog's for you.  I know you stalk my blog and never leave comments!!  Never fear - my friends are a nice bunch.  We might make fun of Brits, but not Aussies!!  I swear!!  ; )  And I promise not to call you a Kiwi by accident!

3 comments:

The Coach's Wife said...

phew! that's a relief. you and the hubby may have broken the curse!

well, in all honesty, i was never really worried about that with you two to begin with. my only concern was that you have a good time and not hate us afterward...because that seems to be the other half of the curse.

The Coach's Wife said...

wait - how can you have a post about FB and not even mention farkle???? ;^)

MadHatter said...

I hate the chat feature on FB....I don't want to talk to people, I want to lurk!