Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gym Delimma

I've worked out most of my life.  But, like so many others, I'm not consistent about it.  I haven't stepped foot into my gym since my half marathon.  That was mid-January.  I haven't gone on a run outside or anything. (it's frickin' cold here!!)  And I'm finding that since purchasing the Tempurpedic I have begun to have issues getting out of my cozy bed.  I can actually sleep in until 7:30 or 8am on the weekends!!  (People - that's LATE for me!)  Which is an issue because I used to love to work out in the morning.  Can't work out in the morning if you can't get your ass out of bed...  I can't even convince myself to get up before work to do a yoga DVD at home.  And there is NO excuse for that.

A lot of it has to do with winter.  It's hard to get our of bed when it's dark outside.  But I got up in college at 4:30am for practice for a whole semester.  But I can't do it here where I live now.  It's cold and dark and well, it just sucks.

I used to like group classes but either they don't fit my schedule or they are so jam packed that I have no desire to fight for floor space.  So I pay a monthly fee (albeit cheap) to lift weights and use the treadmill on occasion.  Although still cheap, I actually pay for 2 memberships.  Because we have one for the hubby and I think he's gone 5 times in the 4 years we've been members.  He doesn't lift weights and we have a rowing machine and bike trainer at home.  Of course I'm afraid that as soon as we cancel it he's going to get some inspiration to start lifting and we'll be screwed.

I thought about joining a gym with a pool and try my hand a triathalons.  There are only two options around here with a pool big enough to do laps.  One is about 7 miles away and the other is about 9 miles.  I know that doesn't sound far at all but it will turn into a 10-15 minute drive.  (did I mention my gym now is 1.5 miles away?? and takes less than 5 minutes to drive there?)  Plus to join a gym with a pool I'm going to increase my monthly fee a lot!!  And let me tell you - paying more for a membership does not entice me to go to the gym more to pay for it.

I think a long term solution is to move somewhere I can be outside (comfortably) more of the year.  I like getting outside.  As for a short term solution...  I dunno....  No Wandering Girl - not interested in that P90X thingy.  Sounds interesting to see someone do - but not so much for me to do it.  I want to play a sport so I forget that I'm working out.

1 comment:

WanderingGirl said...

I used to laugh to think that the little change from 1.5 to 8 miles would change how easily I got to the gym. WTF? It is HUGE! That's exactly the change I did from the apartment to the house in relation to my YMCA and it's phenomenal how far away it feels now! There's no easy run home to let the dog out then quick back to the gym. By the time I get home and let him out, I need a snack, then I just don't want to go back and 12 minutes seems like such a LOOOOONG way to drive. I totally get it. The P90X thing works for me, but I'm still going to the gym 3-4 times a week for more cardio (though you get plenty in the program, I'm just working on that whole wedding dress thing). It's not for everyone, though. Everyone just needs to find what's best for them. I have as much trouble finding a sport that fits my schedule, occurs frequently enough during the week, and that I don't have to drive all over creation to get to to meet my needs too.