Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I really need to take pictures

I really need to get the camera out and start taking pictures.  It would make my blog so much more exciting!!  Alas, the ones I do take are with my Envy 2 and although it's not a bad camera newer phones have much better cameras these days.  I don't aspire to do the 365 project - I'm not that ambitious - but a few pix this weekend would have been nice to accompany this entry...  oh well.

The hubby and I decided that for Vday cards would suffice.  That and a good dinner of course.  But I'm not one to battle crowds at a restaurant so I mean that as in "a good dinner at home".  And since it's Vday why not go with a romatnic 70's classic??  Fondue!!

And I don't just mean chocolate fondue for dessert.  Or cheese fondue to start.  I mean a whole Melting-Pot-at-home experience!! 

Starter:
Classic cheese fondue with homemade croutons, granny smith apples and a broccoli-cauliflower-green bean-carrot mix, blanched and tossed with a light lemon vinegrette.  (all for dipping the cheese of course...)

Main:
Broth fondue with beef, chicken, shrimp and portabella mushrooms complete with three dipping sauces: garlic lemon aioli, teriyaki and curry yogurt.  This broth was awesome!  I just knew it was going to be great when it called for a half BOTTLE of white wine!!!

Dessert:
Chocolate fondue with strawberries, bananas, pound cake, marshmallows and biscotti.

I also had champagne with chambord ready to go but I never made it to that part.  I could only muster a glass or two of wine during the meal.  And since I had Monday off I decided to have a mimosa with breakfast and then drank the rest of the split with chambord.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  YUM!!

I then went back to the liquor store last night to get more champagne since I drank it all before the hubby had a chance to try it.  But screw the little split. This time I got a whole bottle!!

Editors note:  I added soba noodles to the leftover broth for leftovers.  It's AWESOME!!  (half bottle of wine, remember??)

1 comment:

The Coach's Wife said...

i'm beginning to think i'm not that ambitious, either. i'll admit, i've cheated a few times...and there are days when the thought of having to try to fit in time to take some pictures stresses me out. which is so wrong. i keep thinking i need to quit my job, which i swear is sucking the life out of me these days, so i can focus on the things i love - photography, scrapping, blogging, cooking...maybe even get in shape for once in my life so i don't feel like a huge slob when i see myself in pictures. i told coach it would mean no cleaning/laundry on the weekends (i'd do it all during the weekdays) and that i'd promise dinner on the table every night when he got home...but he's not buying it. gosh, think about all the new things i'd have time to try if i could spend hours in the afternoon cooking! alas, he thinks i'd get bored. and he's probably right.