I fly a lot. But so does the hubby. Difference is, I travel around to different places. David travels to the same airport 99% of the time. That airport would be Detroit. If you're a frequent traveler then you'll not be surprised to know that he flies Northwest. (Detroit - BIG hub). He has this routine down so pat that he usually flies there and back on the same flights. When we hear a plane over our house he's been known to take a look at it and shout out what NW flight it probably is - assuming it's a NW plane. You can't tell what airline it is but I play along anyway :)
Yesterday he was due to get on the 7:15pm flight (I'm sure it's probably 7:18 or something, but as the wife of the flier, I don't care about specifics - I round.) It's supposed to land in Syracuse around 8:30pm. There have been several times over the past few years that he does not get home anywhere close to 8:30 - but last night takes the cake.
message on my cell left at 6:20pm, listened to at 8:15pm: "Hi hon, it's me. I know you're at practice but wanted to leave a message that our flight is delayed because the crew isn't here yet. I'll leave you another message when we board."
I only had one message after practice. I call him to leave a message back to jokingly chastise him for not calling me when he boarded. To my surprise he answered. He did not sound like a happy camper. They had not yet left - still no crew. Rumblings about "all these freakin' planes here and no crew to fly our plane. I'll call you when I hear something."
9:30pm: "ok, we're boarding. I'll call you when we land." Ok, sounds good. He should be in around 10:30 or 11. I decide I'm going to be a good wife and wait up for him since we haven't seen each other except in bits and pieces over the past few weeks.
11pm: "We just landed... in Rochester." WHAT??? Um, wrong airport. It appears during the first attempt at landing at Syracuse there might have been deer on the runway. Went back for second pass. Too foggy, couldn't see, redirected to Rochester. For those of you who don't know, it's about 1 hour from Syracuse (our house), driving.... really fast.
Ok, I'm falling asleep on the couch. Love ya hon but you're on your own. I can't stay awake any longer - still sleep deprived from waking up every two hours previous night. must get sleep - see you tomorrow.
1:30am Friday morning: Sure enough the dogs went CRAZY when they heard the very quiet garage door opening, scared the shit out of me (I was sleeping peacefully, knowing the basement was not flooding). David's home. He rented a car and drove home. It's one-thirty in the morning on Friday. it's not like we can sleep in, we have to work today.
I've determined Northwest sucks. That's why I fly USAir...
1 comment:
too bad AlaskaAir doesn't fly out there. I love them.
Post a Comment