Friday, September 01, 2006

Not quite like a Marriott...

Have you ever stayed overnite in a sleep lab?? Well, I hadn't either - until last night. I SWEAR I don't snore (and my hubby agrees) but they felt it pertinent to test me for sleep apnea. (They being, well, I'm not really sure... somebody with an MD after their name, I guess...)

So I flew home from Loos-i-anna, via Messa-sipee, last night, went home, grabbed a bite to eat, showered, grabbed a pillow and headed to the sleep lab. I sort of knew what was going to happen. As I thought, I was hooked up to a bunch of wires. My biggest fear - worrying that I'd have to pee in the middle of the night. Now, you're allowed to pee - you just have to call them because you need their help to untangle you from all the wires hooked to ya. No, peeing isn't exactly the fear - waking up inthe sleep lab to pee and NOT BEING ABLE TO FALL BACK ASLEEP! The fact is, when home, I usually stumble to the toilet and pee with my eyes half open (ok - usually shut. It's a good thing I don't have to stand.) This way I don't turn on any lights and truely wake myself up - otherwise I'd be awake for the rest of the night. And since I do pee almost every night I have this down to a science.

Instead, I laid awake all night thinking "gee, I have to pee, but if I get up I'll wake myself up and won't be able to fall back asleep." Go figure.

The worst part of the sleep study - how they attach the electrodes to your head. They use this goopy stuff, reminds me a lot like the wax my mom used to put in my brother's ears for a bath back when Justin had tubes. They wrap the electrode in that goop and then stuff it on your head. Dont' worry, they mash your hair around it to keep it in place. I had to wash my hair about 5 times this morning and STILL found a gob of it behind my ear that I had missed! YUCK!

Well, I'll keep you posted as to whether I have to start sleep sleeping with a Darth Vader mask on at night (aka, CPAP machine). And if I do have to get a CPAP, don't expect me to announce that we're going to have kids any time soon....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apple Crisp Julie, you really are a kid that we lost along the way and now I at least know the decade. It was when we had a conversion van, done by us, complete with shag carpet super-glued onto the blown up roof! How do I know this you ask? Easy.... We actually had a lisence plate that said ZOOKEEPER and that was Joe's "handle" on the CB. How crazy is that? Yup, add that to your inherited ability to collect critters and we have a more reliable match than DNA.
I'm glad to know that you are still in touch with Tiff and you are happy out there in the universe. Hope we will see you again at the farm if you ever come our way.
See you on the blog!

Zoo Keeper said...

HA!! I new I was a King at heart! (or some might argue a Queen... ; ) Growing up I had a max on the number of animals but now that I'm all grown up the max is out the window!! (much to the chagrin of my husband! Did I mention he's allergic to cats?)
I should also mention, that years ago when at the farm you gave me a little quilted kitty pin. It has been on the driver's side visor of my car ever since then. It's been on 3 Fords and a Saturn! (currently a Ford.) I think of you guys every time it's sunny!

WanderingGirl said...

I meant to tell you the "zookeeper" thing before. It is funny. Dad also had a hat that said "King Family Pile-It" b/c we were always tell him to "pile it over here" or "pile it over there" when he was dumping wheelebarrows.

I think David must be much like Pa King, who said he always knew better than to tell Mom to choose between him and the critters. He wasn't even sure she'd miss him that much.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Funny Tiff. (and true) Next time you're at the farm Julie, I'll try to come up with a way for you to take a horse with you to the "burbs". Today Joe brought home a "Stablemate" traders paper and showed me the picture of a little spotted donkey baby that's for sale. He thought it was the cutest thing ever but God knows we don't need another animal. My point? Watch out David, it's contageous and it doesn't get any better....

WanderingGirl said...

I hope they get the donkey!!