Last Wednesday my dad and his childhood friend, Charlie, came up to visit us. In case you didn't know - my dad grew up in southwestern WV. Of course I've known Charlie, his wife and two kids my whole life. They're great - what we call "good West Virginia people." However Charlie has a very distinct characteristic.... his accent.
My dad's name is Randy. Of course that's short for Randall. Charlie calls him something akin to "Rannall" or "Ranny". Trust me - it cracks me up but you truly have to hear his accent in general to truly appreciate it. : )
And something that wouldn't be surprising - Charlie and my dad are very similar in many ways. Figures - they grew up together. Remember my dad can't get names of things straight - like Dinosaur BBQ... (which he calls Jurassic Park...) Charlie's the same way. They show up and one of the first things they ask for? Beer.
Of course I bought beer! It's my dad. As I'm rattling off what I have Charlie asks:
"Do you have any of that jing-a-ling?... uh, I mean ding-a-ling?" (gives my dad a questioning look) "you know what I'm talking about?"
me: You mean Yuengling??
Charlie: Yeah! That's it! They just started selling it in West Virginia. It's good!
Dad: Charlie, they've been making that in PA for over a hundred years and you've never heard of it?
Charlie: Well no Rannall! I just said they just started selling it in WV!
Needless to say we called it ding-a-ling the rest of the time he was here. And I'd give him as many Ding-a-lings as he want - he cleaned our pool, washed our car....
I'm not kidding. Again, another trait he and my father share - they can't sit still. Dad and I were floating in the pool (yes, we finally used it this year. It was COLD!) and David is mowing the lawn and Charlie is sweeping grass off the sidewalk of the pool. (earlier he was actually cleaning it with the vacuum... )
They next day dad and Charlie washed my car and dad's car. I mean really - on vacation and they can't find something else to do??
But we all had a blast. They ran my ass ragged. We ate out almost every night, played putt-putt, went to a minor league baseball game, took them to do wine tastings all one day...
I probably got run down and I ended up sick after they left. Go figure...
3 comments:
That is too funny. We like the ding a ling around here too.
come on!! you tellin' me you let a bunch of old farts school you in the energy department!?!?
Em, I know!! it's embarassing! But I really like to relax with a good book at night and be in bed by 10! I mean, really - that hasn't changed since high school. I've always been like that!
Post a Comment