Monday, September 21, 2009

I did it!!


This is me in the morning... before we got started...

Well folks - I did it. I finished the 100 miles - and in the front of the pack no less!!

All the schools have been learning about safety for the past few weeks. The day of our ride the program ends with a pep rally for the kids and then they all come outside and stand on the side of pavement to cheer us on. You can hear the kids as they announce we're there. You would think we were the Jonas brothers or Miley Cyrus or something!! These kids are screaming and cheering - we felt like teeny bopper rock stars! We ride by and slap hands with them - they love that!

Since this was a fundraiser for missing and exploited kids we stopped at about 5 schools to say hi to the kids and reinforce what they've been learning in school about staying safe in their environment and on line. It was also the time we grabbed a bathroom break and refueled. Each stop was about 10 - 15 minutes.
We did just a "ride by" at a few schools. They weren't scheduled stops, just on our route. So we ride by and slap hands and move on. At the first ride by school there were kids lined up on both sides of the pavement. I decided to go to the one side where not many riders had gone yet. As I was slapping hands with the kids I heard one of them say after I passed "That was a woman!!"

Yes kids, women can ride bikes too.
And here's the 100 mile proof:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I'm surprised anyone could ride a bike 100 miles, woman or man! Good work! And please don't tell Glen about the jackets.

emily said...

WOMAN! Way to go! So proud of you.

MadHatter said...

No son, she was THE woman. And don't you forget it!

WanderingGirl said...

Nice job, Jules! I'm so proud of you.

Christy said...

You are the BOMB!!! Go girl!!! Next step half marathon...