Friday, September 04, 2009

Not to worry

I know some of your are starting to get worried about my "Twilight obsession". I'm flattered that you care enough, well... to care.

I was thinking about it and I'm wondering if you're worried because I've never reacted to something in this way before. It's true - there have been many a pop culture pursuits over the years but I have NEVER dove in and became a crazed fan.

Many would probably see this as my general disinterest in pop culture.

This would be an erroneous assumption.

I have always considered myself a mature, intellectual women. (laugh if you must). Even in junior high I was "above" all the childish preoccupations of my classmates. My BFF at the time was also a mature, intellectual girl - but for some incomprehensible reason, was a big fan of WWF and Def Lepard... I didn't understand it - especially the WWF. And don't even get me started on New Kids on the Block! All the girls went to their concert when it came to town. I didn't understand the fuss over a bunch of stupid boys.

But secretly I LOVED NKOTB! But I would never admit it. They were childish. I went so far as to say I didn't even like them at all.

I've done this my whole life. Something grabbed my attention I hide my interest for fear of being made to look like a stupid fool.

No more. I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm getting to old to worry about it. I've been worrying my whole life and I'm not going to do it any more.

I've already admitted to the NKOTB. I had an obsession with trashy romance novels in junior high too. People knew about it but I don't think they realized how deep the obsession went.

So no - I haven't gone off the deep end this time with Twilight... I'm just opening up and sharing my usual obsession with the outside world!!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I still like trashy romance novels and yes, I did have to snicker at the "intellectual woman" comment... :)