I decided that the hubby and I need to eat more veggies. Especially the hubby... When I put together a grocery list and ask what veggies he wants it's usually "fresh green beans". I agree, this is a good suggestion, don't get me wrong, but this is usually the ONLY thing he comes up with. He doesn't like GB casserole or anything that like. And he won't eat them out of the can because they're not crunchy. So I just give 'em a quick toss in EVOO in a skillet and they're done.
But really - one cannot live on green beans alone. He's not much of a salad eater either. In his defense he does have IBS, or something similar, so he doesn't like a lot of things solely because of what they do to his system. (or so he tells me...) I understand that. So, he may be able to survive on green beans, but I can't.
So I instituted a new rule. Each week one of us will choose a veggie and I'll try to make a few things out of it. Last week I made brussel sprouts. I've made them once before at Thanksgiving. I saute them with pancetta and garlic. I remembered it being really good. Well, the grocery was out of pancetta so instead I got prosciutto. (note to anyone in this predicament - use bacon instead!!!) Thus the sprouts did not turn out that great. And we both admitted it was not a "do again". Fine, we tried. We should get points for that!!
This week it was butternut squash and parsnips. (going for what's in season...) Two nights ago I made butternut squash souffle with greens and a parsnip and turnip au gratin. The souffle didn't exactly "souffle". Either way I liked the flavor - more savory than sweet, but not so much the texture. It was really smooth - which would have been great on something, but not by itself. It was like eating warm baby food. The au gratin wasn't too bad. The hubby agreed the au gratin was a do again. The greens were... well, just greens. Swiss chard cooked down tossed with butter. Nothing fancy. The hubby and I both need the nutrition of the greens but neither of us is a big fan. I told him to hold his nose and swallow it down. It was good for him. (I had to do the same...)
So Tuesday night's dinner was "blah" to put it nicely. I was starting to think this veggie a week thing wasn't such a great idea. But then came last night and the butternut squash risotto!! HELLO, WE HAVE A WINNER! It was great. (at least I think so. I would give it 4 or 5 stars, I would guess the hubby was hoovering at 3.) It was no 20 minute meal, I'll tell you that. But it's the first risotto I've made where you don't stand there and stir is constantly. I like that!! Plus there's pancetta in it (they were stocked again with real pancetta this time) which for all intents and purposes is bacon. (and who doesn't like bacon?? except KVeg...)
Although it did take some time it was easy. So if you're looking for something a little more high class than green beans out of a can this recipe is for you.
Tonight it's butternut squash and shallot soup. (and chicken. I think the hubby might rebel if I serve another dish without a meat main course....) Man I wish I had an immersion blender....
3 comments:
we really love brussels sprouts pan roasted with some EVOO and sea salt (and i like lots of black pepper on almost everything). ina garten on food network has a good recipe - but it really is as simple as tossing the sprouts in oil, spreading out on a sheet pan, sprinkling with salt and place in the oven until all carmelized and crispy and yummy.
i also love me some mashed cauliflower. add some butter and garlic and a little milk/cream (suppose chicken stock might also work) to cooked florets, blend and it's a delicious bite of whipped yumminess. adding some parsnips would probably be great as well!
you've got my cooking running amok...now i'm hungry!
Sounds good! I loves me some risotto, and I loves me some butternut squash, so I bet I love this one. I'll give it a go one of these days while I'm snowed the hell in.
I like my brussel sprouts steamed with butter and salt, and I can eat a shload of green beans!
Yum - I love sauteed b sprouts too.
I just saw this yummy-looking recipe on the NYtimes recipes website (which are usually good!) - haven't tried it yet, and I'm not sure how much mushrooms qualify in your veggie quest, and I've never cooked actually cooked w/ farro... but it seems a great non-perpetually-stirring alternative to risotto!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/health/nutrition/21recipehealth.html
Also this prior one: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/magazine/30food-t-002.html
Post a Comment