Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Private parts

Ok - here's the explanation of why I decided to go private. A loooong time ago I posted this on my blog.  Note the second comment....  Kinda freaked me out.

So I polled a few wives of my guy friends from high school thinking "ok, whose jackass husband thought this would be funny??"  Of course I assumed it was a boy...  another woman wouldn't freak a friend out like that for a laugh.  No one 'fessed up.  It did creep me out because who in the hell is readling my blog that would leave that comment???

That was back in 2007.  Fast forward to 2010.

While visitng our friends in FL I asked NN about her blog.  I happen to know that she installed a tracker on her site so she can see who's  coming and visiting.  It shows IP address, city, state and what blog that left to come visit your blog.  This is some scary info!!  As in, I can get this info for FREE!!  (http://www.sitemeter.com/)


I had totally forgotten about toe stalker when I asked her about this. 


First I changed some settings on my blog - that my blog is NOT searchable by search engines.  Then I installed the softare and was having fun seeing who was visiting my blog.  For example, there were a few cities that had visited where I don't know anyone.  When I check to see where they had been before my blog I see it was one of my friends with a blog.  Yes, techincally that person could be stalking them and then jumped to my blog from a link on their page, but I prefer not to think of it like that.  That kind of anonymous visit doesn't bother me at all.  In fact I welcome it!

Then I realized that there were some international visitors from countries where I definitely don't know anyone.  I saw they were coming to my blog from a google search.  (Which pisses me off because I technically had removed the ability of search engines to find it over a week ago....)  And it would actually show me what they had searched!!

Most were begnin so I wasn't worried.  Then I found the guy (I'm assuming) from Singapore.  His google search was "sexy toes blog".  Mine was the last blog on the first page.  There are many things wrong with this picture:

  1. It's creepy that someone is searching that specifically.  I mean he's looking for blogs.  If he has a toe fetish wouldn't he just be searching for "sexy toes"??
  2. My blog made it on the first page of the search. 
  3. I'm still showing up in google searches even though I specifically opted out of that.  (I am still investigating this issue.)

Of course I immediately thought of the commenter from 2007.  Is it the same person??  I have no idea.

Realistically, I'm not worried this person is a murderer or anything (at this point).  Probably just some creep jacking off to what he can find on the web.  But still, the thought of someone using my blog for that purpose completely creeps me out.  As my Aunt Newlywed says "If they're going to be using something of mine I at least want to get paid for it!"  ; )  Think about it folks, there's some good money to be made here if one wanted to pursue this.

I digress.

The short of it is this:  I don't want people visiting my blog if they are only coming to use it for fetish porn.  Since I'm not getting paid for it, of course : )

So I instituted the privacy setting.   It's really keeping all of us safer since, if they can't read my blog, they can't read your comments.  So I apologize for any extra steps it may require you to access it.  Again, I'm not opposed to adding legit people to my blog.  So if you know of someone I haven't invited just let me know and I'll add them to the safe list.

There's one caveat with this whole "privacy" setting.  If you write a blog - not just have an account - you can read any blog on blogger.  So a note to my toe fetish viewer: 

If you are a blog author and can still get access to my blog know this:  I'm watching you. I know when you're here.  So STOP.  If I find that you're still visiting I'll report you.


P.S.  On another note - does anyone know where the spell checker is on the upgraded blogger??  I can't seem to find it and I know for a fact I can't spell or type so I really need it!!

3 comments:

MadHatter said...

creepy. I've got to get my tech guy to load that thing-a-ma-doo on my blog. Ofcourse its probably just three of you anyway

WanderingGirl said...

Ooooh, I'm going to load that thing too. How do you do it? I don't have a tech guy. And what's the updated blogger? I think I have the really old version, 'cause I still have spell check! Once I posted a pic of my new bedroom when I was decorating my apartment and had an anonymous jackass comment that I needed a hot young man in there. Oh, if he only knew!

The Coach's Wife said...

fair warning - sitemeter is addictive!!!! i check mine near-obsessively. i definitely get the occasional "who the heck is that?!?!", but i can almost always figure out who's visiting by matching IP addresses with e-mail properties, or it's obvious the visitor has linked in from another blog where i'm listed as a link...which is totally fine with me). it's funny to see who stops by daily and who only stops by when there's a new post (so i kinda know they're following privately). ;^)